Tuesday 9 June 2015

Hint of Steampunk

Hi everyone!

I am here today to show you a tag I made ......and as it is a lovely sunny morning I took the photos outside! I am so glad summer is here (hope it stays a while!)


      I discovered a passion for Steampunk a while ago...quite a while ago actually (while checking my blog I was shocked to see it was in April 2013!) - when over at Sandee and amelies Steampunk challenge they sparked my imagination with 'Fairytales, into our Steampunk world'....I really knew nothing about Steampunk and I had doubted I could do it - but the title was way too tempting and I dived in ....

     I loved making the wicked witch house, but I still felt Steampunk wasn't for me - I didn't think it fitted into my style and then I realised that you don't have to dive fully into the Steampunk world....sometimes it works by adding just a hint of Steampunk...and really Steampunk goes with everything....

    And that was what my idea was behind this tag...to do a shabby chic style tag but show that Steampunk fits in really well....

     The tag was one of many that started off as some experimenting with Gesso through stencils. I was just messing around with some Gesso and stencils and different application techniques....This is one of them and all it needed was to be covered with Distress ink - I chose Brushed Corduroy - a colour I very rarely use - think I might have to change that! and I stamped some text and gears on with Walnut Stain DI.

     Then I made the decoration. I started by cutting a top hat out of card and covering with dictionary paper. I then wound some hemp string around it and stuck on some tiny watch cogs.


I stuck the top hat onto a piece of card that had been antiqued with a dab of Walnut Stain DI and had a piece of paper lace stuck to it


I then stuck this to a piece of card that had been stamped with gears using Walnut Stain DI


This was then stuck onto a piece of card that had a crackle effect stamped onto it. This was then added to a piece of card that had been painted with Decoart Fluid Acrylics in Raw Umber and then was stamped with gears using gold paint.




 The hat was tuck onto the card using foam pads 


The words were made using stamps and stickers....


'Steampunk' was stamped with alphabet Stamps using Jet Black Archival ink...the word 'goes' was made using Label Letters stickers. 'With' was done with a chit chat sticker and 'everything' was stamped with another alphabet stamp- this time using Potting Soil Archival ink


I attached some twine to the top of the tag and added some twine ribbon tied into a bow


And there is my tag - a mix of vintage shabby chic and Steampunk...



Hope you like it! Thanks so much for being here!

Happy Crafting 

Love from Laura 
xxx


Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this tag, Laura!

    And thank you so much for sharing all the yummy close ups too - loads of eye-candy that sweetened my "second breakfast coffee" ;)
    This is going to be one of my new favourites!

    Hugs and wishes,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Epic even! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tag which mixes so wonderfully shabby chic and steampunk. Clever new style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous tag Laura. The Gesso-ing is a lovely touch and I liked the quote too - I think you are right, it really does go with everything. Also wanted to say that I loved your Tando Creative Sponsor Spotlight, I could have left a comment on OCC but I wanted to come here and tell you personally. The crackling on that is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bonjour Laura une promenade sur ton blog que je découvre , ton vintage est superbement diversifié c'est très jolie à bientot nate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Laura for your thoughts on steampunk.... they really really helped me. In my mind it was an all or nothing proposition. Your project here is such a great mix of "worlds"... and sooooo inspiring me. What a FUN creations - it's elegant, steamy and a bit shabby too.... so FUN and so LOVELY. j.

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!