Friday 27 November 2015

Playtime Adventures

Hi everyone!

      This is a creation that started as just a playtime!


     I realised one day, while trying to organise more space in my art cupboard, that I haven't used my Distress stains very often...I have about 15 of them, but they just sit there....Time to change that.

I had no ideas at all when I sat down to make this....My only initial plan was to pick out some Distress Stain colours and began to play..

I chose Salty Ocean, Tumbled Glass, Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint. I dabbed some on to a craft mat and flicked it onto white card using a paintbrush. I spritzed with water and then dried with a heat gun, lifting the card to move the diluted stain around. I didn't actually like it at this point...but I figured I may as well see where it goes - so I just began to have some fun, mainly looking to rust effects for inspiration...


I used a layering stencil to add a splatter effect with white acrylic paint.


I stenciled letters around the corners with Decoart Quinacridone Gold


I stamped several text and flourish stamps with Jet Black Archival ink



I stenciled some words using an Andy Skinner stencil....some were double
 stenciled to add a layered effect - I used Burnt Umber/Black and Black/Titan Buff



I dabbed around the edges of the card with Quinacridone Gold using a foam pad


I spritzed the card with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage mist in Ancient Copper - Really hard to capture in a photograph but the effect when looking at it in RL is amazing....just a beautiful splatter of rusty brown when viewed straight - but turn it to the side and there is the most gorgeous vintage copper explosion!



I then added bolts to the corners with Decoart Liquid Glass


 When dry I covered the bolts and the edges of the card with Decoart Texture Sand paste. I then brushed this with a wash of Decoart Media Paynes Grey acrylic paint. This was then covered with Quinacridone gold and I repeated the layers of grey and Gold until I got the rusted effect I was after...




When brushing the Quinacridone Gold over the rust I swiped some brush 
strokes down to add streaks of rust


I added Chit Chat stickers edged with Walnut Stain DI and some embellishments which included an photo-booth picture, salvage stickers number, a key, pen nib and button.





Hope you like it!

Thanks so much for being here

Happy Crafting

Laura 
xxx




Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning!! Love the deep, rich colours and the double stenciled words look fabulous!!
    Amazing textures ..the rust around the edges is simply awesome and so realistic .. your playtime adventure is glorious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, this is just fabulous! I love inspecting every bit of color and texture! Great contrast!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!